LED Lighting Units are here now and are much of the future.
When I worked on the first edition of this book I did not recommend LED units for anything other then coloring silver truss with primary colors. Times have changed and technology has really improved. Don’t be mistaken, there are cheap units out there that are still only good for primary colors on something reflective. There are also professional quality units out there that can give you almost any color you want including light tints. This is a section not to skimp in budget. Quality in LED lighting comes with a cost but have incredible saving opportunities.
- LED units do not use a dimmer. Their intensity control is purely with internal computer chips and receive their information from your DMX controller.
- They last an incredible amount of lamp life hours. You do not have to pay to replace the lamp. By the time a LED burns out you will be either retired or looking for the newest technology again. When you do not have to change a lamp you have a huge labor savings.
- Then think about the reduced power draw on your electrical bill. Not only is the unit going to take less power, so will your air conditioning system. You will have happier audience members when they are comfortable and not sweltering hot.
- You will spend less money on perishable gel as you will adjust your color from the lighting controller. With that being said there is also some benefit to using white LED units and matching it up with particular gels that you love.
- When using DJ LED lights you no longer have a duty cycle.
What the color codes mean…
- RGB – Red, Green and Blue LED’s. The concept is that with the three primaries you can get any color you want. It’s simply not true. These are good for solid primary sort of colors.
- RGBA – Red, Green, Blue and Amber LED’s – Getting much better at being able to color mix.
- RGBW – Red, Green, Blue and White LED’s – Also much better at color mixing then just the RGB.
- RGBWA – Red, Green, Blue, White and Amber LED’s – Go to town and color mix to abandon!
LED Single Can Wash Lights
Here is a frustrating truth. When LED units first came out there was no universal way of categorizing them. Some equated them to conventional Par 64’s or Par 56’s. Some of them listed them as the amount of LED’s the unit possessed. Neither was very helpful or accurate as to the actual output of the light. Because of this I have made my own system. I judge them by how far I think they are going to give you an effective throw of light. That is how I have listed them below.
LED Cyclorama Wash Lights
Lighting a cyc is always one of the biggest and most important challenges for a lighting designer. The advantages of being able to do it with LED fixtures can be many. One of which is that with the more professional units you can control each and every cell one by one. You can do a moving rainbow on your cyc. Not to harp on this, but if you choose cheap LED fixtures for a cyc you will be displeased with the dimming curve and the throw distance. This is an investment for the life of your theatre.
Browse all our LED wash lights.
LED Spot Lights
A spot light is a unit that throws a defined beam of light. Some people classify followspots as just the one and only spot light. Obviously I disagree. They are a type of spot light, one that can follow something or someone. So in this section you will find ellipsoidal spot lights, followspots, pin spots and a new section of gobo spots. While an ellipsoidal can project gobos it can also do a lot more. There are now units that just project gobos. The benefit to that is that they are cheaper and if that is the only functionality you need then you can save your budget with them.
LED Moving Lights
|LED Moving Head Spots are a wonderful bridging of conventional moving head spots with the low power draw of the LED world. Imagine being able to do everything a moving head does with hardly any power draw or heat! While there are some conventional moving heads that are still brighter then the LED units, the LED’s are catching up quickly and are bright enough now for most uses.|
|LED Moving Wash Lights not only let you place the light any where you want but let you do all of the color mixing from your lighting console. Low Power – Low Heat! Be able to pack your pack with these with one electrical circuit.|